Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 24 // Personal Crap

So here it is.. personal life creeps in and gets serious.

Fawn had a dr's appt today (her 2 yr well-baby) and she's still on the smaller side in height and weight. But she's good. The issue is her speaking.

She refuses to speak. Yes, I know.. it's unbelievable.. a 2 year old that won't talk. It's not as uncommon as you may think. While I was one to talk non-stop the minute I understood the spoken word.. my husband didn't speak until he was 3. The thing is.. you could talk to her like she's 12 with several commands in a row.. and she'll do them and understand completely what you want her to do. She gets bored with toys and only entertains herself with creative things (play-doh, pretend play, coloring, painting, building with blocks, writing). She has no interest in books or dolls or things like that. She gives the illusion of communication because she's so extremely expressive in her face and body language. But if you count the words she actually says .. it's barely 30.. and 15 of those we force her to say. She'd rather INVENT sign language to speak... which she has done. She'd rather take your finger to show you what she wants instead of say it. She'd rather figure out how to get it herself or do it herself if you ask her to say the word. When she was 13mos, I'd try to get her to speak by saying "Fawn.. Say 'drink'," and she'd just nod. It was the weirdest thing. She knew an ungodly amount of vocabulary at 12 mos but wouldn't speak it. She'd just nod as if to tell you "Yea, that's what it's called. Give it to me." "No, Fawn.. say "Drink".. watch mommy's mouth.. say "da da da drink".. of course I'm just looking for an attempt. She would just nod.

Honestly, it breaks my heart to see other two year olds speaking 3-4 word sentences and bridging new ideas and sharing what they think.. and my daughter barely says two syllable words. It's heartwrenching to think of the last year of us busting our asses to get her to talk. We've refused giving her things (extra things she didn't need like one more piece of cheese for a snack.. or one more cookie .. something unnecessary) unless she used the word, and she'll eventually say it after much struggling to get her to even TRY. But the next time, it's the same struggle. We've rewarded her with m&m's for saying a word.. to see if it was defiance and stubbornness and it didn't matter. Her first words were shoes and please. Yea.. seriously..

No, I take that back. When she was 8mos old I have a recording of her repeating Mama over and over again.. and it would make me cry. She would do all of her sounds with me and everything, it was beautiful and then all of a sudden... Nothing. I know there's little to no research, but they're convinced she doesn't have a hearing problem due to frequent ear infections and now tubes in her ears since 11mos. But I'm not convinced. She hears.. but I'm not sure the sound isn't distorted. She seems HYPER sensitive to sound :/

Either way, we've been referred to a speech pathologist to determine what her issue is. I really hope whatever it is, it's correctable. And if it is stubbornness.. because Fawn is pretty damn stubborn... then we're in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment