Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 22 // Happy Beltane!

Last night, I held a small solitary ritual for Beltane making some Beltane Oil and followed with a Banishing Oil I had been meaning to make. I wish there was a local group nearby that I could participate with, but alas, solitary is excellent if not better ;) This marks the very first holiday I have participated in as a pagan.

Did I mention that I love little glass bottles? ^.^

Any who, we made a trip out to buy some wood. Get this! I want to make a raised bed, right? For my herbs. If you go and buy a pre-cut raised bed kit from "PLUG IN LOCAL DO-IT-YOURSELF LAWN AND HOME STORE", you can pay around 70$ !!!!! That's not counting the soil to fill it! Good grief that's a scam!

So, being the thrifty freak I am.. I'm doing it myself ;) Huzzah! I'm sticking it to the Do-it-yourself man.... whoever.. he is.

I bought a 5/4" x 6" x 16' plank of wood, had THEM cut it (they cut it for free) into two 6" x 4' planks and two 6" x 3' planks for a whopping.. $7.00!!! Then add in the 2" wood screws and you've got MAYBE $10 with sales tax for a 4' x 3' raised bed. I could have had a 5' x 3' but I was afraid it wouldn't fit in the car with the car seat in the back.. .. plus... Fawn, lol. I don't think she'd take kindly to sharing space with lumber not to mention the safety hazard. SO! 4'x3' it is and it's plenty big enough.

I was chicken shit decided to play it smart and since the herbs were doing so well in the little biodegradable cells, I bought biodegradable 4"- 6'' pots to transplant them into before exposing them to the raised bed, raw like... ...

Since everything was biodegradable I just left the herbs in their original cells, ripped off the bottoms so the roots didn't have to fight through the container (even though they had started too) and sat them inside the new biodegradable pots. Filled in the sides with soil and sat them outside. They're currently enjoying their first evening and night in fresh air and pure sunlight. I watered them and left them on my cement slab until I can build the bed tomorrow morning.. I would have done it today but .. the summer heat was in full gear and I was already working quite a sweat watering the lawn in near 90F heat at 7pm.

Let me tell you, 23 containers of baby herbs makes you look quite the pro if you've never grown anything. Dare I say, I have a light green thumb? If they survive the transplant/move outside and the treacherous onslaught of summer, I'll officially title myself, Queen of the Herbs!!! ... for the day at least.. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment